Click on link to hear audio: 08-12-18
I. Live Wisely (15-17)
A. Wisdom is an important literary genre throughout the Bible.
B. Maturing believers should understand God’s will.
II. Be Filled with the Holy Spirit (18-21)
A. Filling is a measured awareness of the Holy Spirit.
B. Four on ramps to filling by the Holy Spirit.
1. Speaking to one another in psalms.
2. Singing to the Lord.
3. Giving thanks always for all things.
4. Submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.
click on link to hear audio: 08-05-2018
Two wrong conclusions:
• I’m pretty good because of what I do.
• I’m pretty bad because of how I fail.
Five Attitude Checks:
• Coarse talking betrays an ungrateful heart.
• Immorality is closely associated with idolatry.
• If we disobey God we will encounter his wrath.
• We must learn to please God.
• Shame can be good.
Our new identity in Christ is light.
A. Matthew 5:14
B. 1 John 1:5-7
C. 1 Peter 2:9
D. Ephesians 5:8
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
For all that shines is light
Gospel Project presentation: 07-29-18-TheGospelProject
Click on link to hear audio: 07-29-18-Sermon
The Culture of the Church (review)
I. Do not give the Devil an opportunity (place)
A. Put away falsehood
B. Control our tempers
C. Do honest work
II. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit
A. Avoid sins of the tongue.
B. Our words should build up, not put down.
C. Follow Christ’s example of forgiveness.
Click on link to hear audio: 07-22-18
How we think determines how we live.
I. Secular culture is corruptible.
A. Futile thinking dehumanizes people.
B. Learning Jesus restores lost humanness.
II. The culture of the church is transformational.
A. We received a new identity at the cross
B. Assuming our new “in Christ” identity is like changing clothes.
Click on link to hear audio: 7-15-2018
I. Leaders build up the body by ___________ the _________.
A. At different times in the life of the church, different leadership styles are needed.
B. The result of preaching the gospel is a __________ body.
1. Unity in the faith
2. The knowledge of the Son of God
3. Fullness of Christ
II. The Saints build up the body by _________ the _________.
A. Speaking the truth in love reflects the mercy and justice of God.
1. Truth without love creates rebellion.
2. Love without truth creates resentment.
B. Every joint supplies something in a healthy church.
click on link to hear audio: 07-08-2018
I. What we must do to get along. (1-3)
A. Attitude is almost everything.
B. How about people we don’t like?
II. Two people, one Lord. (4-6)
A. One Body, Spirit, Hope, Lord, Faith, Baptism, God.
B. Solidarity with Jesus facilitates every other relationship in life.
III. But many different kinds of members. (7-10)
A. Did Jesus go to hell?
B. Spiritual gifts are sovereignly given to individuals to benefit the whole body.
Click on link to hear audio: 7-1-18
We receive power to live the Christian life and
overcome the world by grace through faith.
How is Paul’s prayer for power answered for us?
I. God makes believers strong through the Holy Spirit.
“strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner man”
A. God wants us to be strong, not weak.
B. The same power that raised Jesus lives in us.
II. Believers become the temple of God when Jesus moves in.
“so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith”
A. The presence of Christ makes the Temple holy.
B. The obedient church is the New Temple of God.
III. God’s love empowers life.
“being rooted and grounded in love”
A. God’s love heals our brokenness.
B. God’s love frees us to love others.
“Not all God’s children go to church” Ephesians 6:1-4
Click on link to hear audio: 06-24-18
What would you do if you heard your pastor was in jail?
God has a mysterious plan.
• God always intended to bring Gentiles into the church.
• God’s mysterious plan graciously extends to each of us.
We are the least of all the saints.
• This was not false humility for Paul.
• Shameful guilt and arrogant pride are two kinds of sin.
When God is glorified, evil is defeated and people redeemed.
• The gospel is not a self-help program.
• Our salvation displays God’s glory.
Church needs Gentiles as much as Gentiles need church.
• God is still saving Gentiles.
• Our troubles are part of God’s gracious plan to redeem us.
click on link to hear audio: 6-17-18
How do dads measure their own success?
I. Children are responsible.
A. Even young children have spiritual understanding.
B. Obedience gives room for God’s blessing.
II. Without grace, dads exasperate their kids.
A. Children rebel when we try to control them.
B. Children resent when don’t set boundaries.
III. The goal of parenting is wisdom.
A. Life-long process of living and teaching gospel.
B. Showing the right way and correcting the wrong.
Chastening grace expects a holy response in that God is both merciful and just.
Graceful parents love their children and discipline them, neglecting neither.
“Killing Hostility” Ephesians 2:11-23
Click on Link to hear audio: 6-10-18
Is anyone mad at you?
• We have a new identity in Christ because we have been chosen by the Father, redeemed by the Son, and sealed by the Holy Spirit. (1:1-10)
• We need a spiritual awakening if the truth of what we affirm is to be experienced in real and powerful ways. (1:11-23)
• God’s method for making people holy is chastening grace. (2:1-10)
I. The blood of Christ kills hostility.
A. The Covenants are Jewish promises now extended to Gentiles.
B. The Commandments are rules that no longer apply.
C. God broke down all walls at the cross.
II. Two become one. (1 + 1 = 1)
A. The Church is a miracle of God’s grace.
B. We resolve conflict between individuals when both reconcile to God.
C. Peacemaking is God’s work and ours.