1 Corinthians 1:10-17
- Agreement on the big issues is both possible and necessary.
- Disunity in a church grieves the Holy Spirit.
- Unity is achieved in harmony, not unison.
- Follow Leadership: Avoid Factionalism.
- When we pick and choose leaders, we follow no one.
- Healthy churches follow leaders.
- Practice Sacrament.
- Baptism is following Jesus, not a church or leader.
- The Lord’s Supper is a regular reminder of our solidarity in Christ.
Questions for small group discussion:
- What was your baptism experience like?
- Why do you think the Corinthians divided into factions centered on Paul, Cephas, Apollos, or Christ?
- Why is disagreement so painful when it happens at church?
- According to this scripture, what do we need to do in order to maintain the unity of the church?
- When have you enjoyed working together with other believers in the church? Why is this so satisfying?
- How might the cross be “emptied of its power”?