How we see one another determines how we will treat one another. Matthew assembles 4 helpful metaphors from the teaching of Christ.
- Little Children: humble ourselves. (1-9)
- Wandering Sheep: even when we get injured. (10-14)
- Brothers: respect & discernment. (15-20)
- Fellow Debtors: practice grace we received. (21-35)
“Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us.”
Questions for group or individual reflection:
- What qualities about children do you think Jesus wants us to imitate?
- Are wandering sheep responsible for getting themselves lost?
- What is the goal of the reconciliation process Christ outlines for us? Does it always work?
- What kind of expectations should fellow debtors have of one another? (hint: see vs. 31)